Thursday, May 28, 2009

Out of the Courts and into the Streets

Even though the protest started at 7:00 and I got there at 9:30, it was hardly over. Sure, most of the celebrities had gone home, but as I joined the crowd gathered at Hollywood and Highland I was wasn't alone. We took chalk and wrote messages of love and equality in the middle of the intersection: "I DO" the slogan of the moment and more personal thoughts like the person who wrote "I just want my fairy tale ending." It wasn't my rights at stake so why was I there?
Because there's nothing wrong with being gay.
Because I love America and America will only be the best it can be when everyone really has equal rights.
Because separate still isn't equal.
Because being engaged is amazing, and everyone deserves the chance to be that happy.
Because as a child of divorced parents, I know there's NOTHING gay couples can do to threaten marriage that straight couples haven't already done.

We Marched.

For miles.

Thousands of us.

At one point I thought that--based on the number of people in front of me-- I must have been near the back of the group, so I turned around and there were at least twice as many people behind me as there were ahead.
Thousands of us. All ages, all races, with boyfriends, with girlfriends, with groups of friends, with dogs, bicycles, roller blades, dressed in white, dressed in drag, wearing veils or leather or rainbow leis. (Fave outfit: burly, hairy-chested man in a pink leopard print v-neck dress.)
We marched. We marched down Sunset Blvd past restaurants and clubs where all the people came out on the sidewalk , waving and smiling. They cheered for us, and we cheered for them.

We marched for two hours. Shouting for equal rights, signs held high. (Fave sign: "You just stripped my of my rights, but I still get more pussy than you.")

The little toe on my right foot it nothing but a giant blister now. Totally worth it.
To the people who marched in heels: You are like Gods to me.

This isn't over. We won't be beat.

But in the mean time the supposedly progressive California lags behind a (wonderful) state where if you run over a deer you get to keep it.

No comments: