Saturday, January 31, 2009

Some for the Pain, Some for the Germs, Some for the Doctor

The Pain
There is electic light on Fanning, just not a lot of it. True darkness is rare for most of us and shocking. You cannot see your hand in front of your face, even if your palm is touching the tip of your nose. Which is how the end of a piece of lumber, 2x4x20, swung at full force by a young and fit I-Kiribati, collided with my face. We were working late, full speed ahead, and it was simply too dark to see.
My first thought after the impact was about my glasses. Were they broken? Two years earlier on a different boat I had (under different and much happier circumstances) broken a different pair of glasses. They had plastic frames, and a clever and charming shipmate had melted them back together with a lighter. My current ones were metal...I reached up to inspect them.
About this time I realized that the warm liquid flowing down my hands and arms was not just the rain.

The Germs
The First Mate herded me into the Agent's house. There he sat me down and instructed me to pinch the bridge of my nose, which was helping until a well-meaning shipmate, attempting to wipe up the blood, bumped my arm. The hand that was doing the pinching was jarred, and I felt the structure of my nose move. Broken. The nearest hospital was on Christmas Island, more that 24 hours away.
The shipmate made another move toward my arm, insisting she was helping, so I took a swing at her (missed) and yelled at every one to FUCK OFF. I was left alone with some paper towels and a bucket of water.
I sat quietly for several minutes, pinching as instructed, and pressing cool, wet paper towels to my face. When most of the bleeding stopped, I wiped myself off and did a damage assessment. There was a small cut on my nose, where the impact caused the sharp bone to push through the skin. My hands and arms were covered in blood, like some hideous victim in a horror film or an ax murderer. There was even some blood on my legs.
Once I was clean I felt much calmer until I suddenly realized that I'd been rinsing my brand new wound in some random third-world water. Fanning Island has staph.

The Doctor
"I need you to see if my nose is broken," I told Nate, our medical officer, when I got back to Kwai.
"Oh, I can see it's broken," he replied without so much as a closer look. "It's at a 20 degree angle."
The Captain fed me two prescription-strength tylenol and a shot of Sailor Jerry rum. Nate eyed my nose eagerly.
"You're excited," I said. I wasn't angry or even that surprised.
"No I'm not."
He sat me down in the galley (ship's kitchen) and carefully pressed my nose back into place. We didn't have a nose scope, so he checked his work with a flashlight. The tylenol and rum performed marvellously. I took a deep breath and found I could breath much more easily. I looked at Nate.
"Admit it. You liked that."
"Yeah! That was awesome!"

2 comments:

Jules said...

For your mother's sake, I hope this is fiction.

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

Thank you, Nate.